9 & 10

 

Week 9 -  Magazine Redesign

The U.S. election is almost behind us with the results still coming in from other states and now we have to go and pick up all the yard signs. I spent a few hours going around and grabbing them around campus that could be gotten on foot (some only by foot) while others with cars went and got a majority. Having a map of where most of them were great but at some point we had many many many more signs to put down and so not all of them were marked on the map but the general area.

Afterward, I was briefed on the rest of the events we had for the rest of the semester and into Spring. We then began carving out some rough plans and a timeline. One of the most important items being the redesign of the Bob Graham Center's magazine, Graham Central. They have published a publication each semester for a few years except for last year because the last communications director was retired and my current supervisor was getting acquainted with the position. Thus, she was too busy to get a publication done for either semester. I'm tasked with modernizing the design and making look better all around. I began researching layouts and gathering examples to find what we all think would work best as we begin piecing everything together. In general, I need to have a better idea of the stories and imagery that they would like to portray before designing anything other than rough layouts and drafts.

https://www.pinterest.ca/vutommy676/magazine-redesign/


Week 10 - Civic Scholars

This week I was tasked with redesigning an informative flyer and other social media advertising for the Bob Graham Center's Civic Scholars for Spring 2021. The award has a research topic each year and this year the topic is public health in Florida. The previous design had a very poor structure in regards to hierarchy, images, and flow. They needed a new design that day along with something to post on social media, and so I had to quickly make a design. Thus, I utilized an image that is able to hone in on the idea of college students and health and more specifically COVID-19 as a centerpiece to carry the flyer. The design is fairly standard and even bland to an extent but gets the information out well without being too boring. Normally I would take out all the orphans in the paragraphs but with the time crunch and me not being a writer/editor and needing it to be approved by two people above me it was sent like this and approved. In the future, I will try and address this little flaw in typography, especially for the next publication of the Graham Central I will be designing.



Comments

Popular Posts